The Safety of our Patients and Our Team Is Our Primary Concern
COVID-19 PREVENTION & RESPONSE
I am writing to reassure you that the McConnell Music Therapy team is following these developments closely. Nothing is more important to us than the safety of the people and families we serve and the health of our employees. We are putting extra attention into the infection control procedures we have always had in place. We do realize this is a fluid situation and will continue to provide updates if anything changes. When you contract with our team, you hired board-certified music therapists trained in policies and procedures to reduce the spread of infection. Infection control is one of the competencies covered in music therapy education and training, and is tested on our board-certification exam. We have trained in medical settings with strict infection control protocols. We also consider it an ethical obligation to stay home when sick.
Music Therapists are an integral part of the interdisciplinary team for our clients, students and patients. We are able to provide music therapy intervention with or without the use of any instruments, through Telehealth and virtual options, and onsite as essential staff in specific settings.
We are committed to serving you as best as possible during this time, adhering to the requirements of each site.
Currently as of 4/6/20, we are meeting the needs of our community by implementing the following programs:
School Districts and Private Clients - Implementing Telehealth MT sessions for individuals and groups as appropriate.
Outpatient Infusion Centers - Piloting Telehealth options for Sutter Cancer Center Sacramento patients.
Behavioral Health - Continuing to provide onsite essential services with all precautions in place as required by site.
Inpatient Medical (Pediatrics/Adult Oncology/Neuro) - Currently on hold.
Outpatient Neurologic Music Therapy services - Currently on hold.
Sophie's Place Staff Support - DAILY music therapy support during DAY AND NIGHT SHIFTS on a drop-in basis for ALL medical and essential staff of Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento.
When onsite providing essential services, our current practice-wide high standards of infection control continue to apply:
● Music Therapist will wash hands upon arrival to and throughout shift, frequently using hand sanitizer.
● Music Therapist will sterilize all equipment/ instruments with medical grade wipes prior to and following each use.
● Music Therapist will minimize the use of instruments to only those easily disinfected.
● Music Therapist will avoid touching face/eyes, handshakes, personal contact and adhere to social distancing protocols in all aspects of professional and personal life.
● No direct services will be provided to patients/clients with known potential or confirmed Covid-19 diagnosis (including Persons Under Investigation waiting for results).
● MMTS staff will adhere to all current CDC guidelines regarding any potential or confirmed exposure to employee of COVID-19.
Thank you all for your attention to this matter. We value having you as a partner in care for the people we serve and in navigating this public health concern.
Tara McConnell, MT-BC